Quantcast

[Cooker] tora Oracle instant client install on cluster ?

[Cooker] tora Oracle instant client install on cluster ?

Juan Luis Baptiste
Hi,

A post[1] on the forum made me realize that the tora-oracle package is
broken when built on the build cluster. I didn't noticed that when
tora is compiled against Oracle instant client includes and libs, and
they aren't installed, tora-oracle still builds but disables Oracle
support. So the current tora-oracle package doesn't have Oracle
support, is the same as tora package :( the only way to fix this would
be to install oracle-instantclient11.x package on the build cluster to
be able to build tora-oracle against it. Is this possible or is this
is out of the question ? you can see the FAQ[2] and licence[3] to be
sure if there's any problem instaling it on the cluster from a legal
POV. We aren't going to distribute it or anything, just use it to
build another binary.

Or could tora-oracle be moved to plf to be built there? just a
suggestion to avoid it being dropped :(

[1] http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?p=797000
[2] http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/oci/instantclient/ic-faq.html
[3] http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/popup-license/instant_client_lic.html

Thanks.

Juancho

Re: [Cooker] tora Oracle instant client install on cluster ?

Pascal Terjan
On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 05:43, Juan Luis Baptiste
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A post[1] on the forum made me realize that the tora-oracle package is
> broken when built on the build cluster. I didn't noticed that when
> tora is compiled against Oracle instant client includes and libs, and
> they aren't installed, tora-oracle still builds but disables Oracle
> support. So the current tora-oracle package doesn't have Oracle
> support, is the same as tora package :( the only way to fix this would
> be to install oracle-instantclient11.x package on the build cluster to
> be able to build tora-oracle against it. Is this possible or is this
> is out of the question ?

If you need a package to be installed when built, this package needs
to be in a media, as it needs to be installed in the chroot generated
to build the package.

The only possible one would be non-free.

> you can see the FAQ[2] and licence[3] to be
> sure if there's any problem instaling it on the cluster from a legal
> POV. We aren't going to distribute it or anything, just use it to
> build another binary.

=====
-You are not a citizen, national, or resident of, and are not under
control of, the government of Cuba, Iran, Sudan, Libya, North Korea,
Syria, nor any country to which the United States has prohibited
export.
-You will not download or otherwise export or re-export the Programs,
directly or indirectly, to the above mentioned countries nor to
citizens, nationals or residents of those countries.
=====

Not reading further I think this is enough to prevent including it in any media.
It is enough also to prevent you from installing it on a machine where
people from any of these countries may connect to.

More annoying parts of the license:

=====
(9) permit you to audit your end user's use of the Programs or to
assign your right to audit the end user's use of the Programs to us;

(b) keep executed end user agreements and records of end user
information including name, address, date of distribution and identity
of Programs distributed;
=====

So if we distribute this, we need to keep a list of people downloading
it and have an agreement with them allowing either us or oracle to
inspect how they are using it...

Re: [Cooker] tora Oracle instant client install on cluster ?

steletch

----- "Juan Luis Baptiste" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

| Hi,
|
| A post[1] on the forum made me realize that the tora-oracle package
| is
| broken when built on the build cluster. I didn't noticed that when
| tora is compiled against Oracle instant client includes and libs, and
| they aren't installed, tora-oracle still builds but disables Oracle
| support. So the current tora-oracle package doesn't have Oracle
| support, is the same as tora package :( the only way to fix this
| would
| be to install oracle-instantclient11.x package on the build cluster
| be able to build tora-oracle against it. Is this possible or is this
| is out of the question ? you can see the FAQ[2] and licence[3] to be
| sure if there's any problem instaling it on the cluster from a legal
| POV. We aren't going to distribute it or anything, just use it to
| build another binary.
|
| Or could tora-oracle be moved to plf to be built there? just a
| suggestion to avoid it being dropped :(
|
| [1] http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?p=797000
| [2]
| http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/oci/instantclient/ic-faq.html
| [3]
| http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/popup-license/instant_client_lic.html

Can you bypass the check?
It may only require some include somewhere, and as long as the instant_client is not available on the system, this won't work, probably.

Is the check more complex, and hard to bypass?

Stef

Re: [Cooker] tora Oracle instant client install on cluster ?

Buchan Milne-2
On Tuesday, 27 April 2010 04:43:40 Juan Luis Baptiste wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A post[1] on the forum made me realize that the tora-oracle package is
> broken when built on the build cluster. I didn't noticed that when
> tora is compiled against Oracle instant client includes and libs, and
> they aren't installed, tora-oracle still builds but disables Oracle
> support.

I'm not sure how "compiled against ... includes and libs ... aren't installed"
makes any sense, can you explain this better?

I assumed you had buildrequires for oracle-instantclient-basic or whatever to
ensure that the libraries were present, and could be linked to ...

> So the current tora-oracle package doesn't have Oracle
> support, is the same as tora package :( the only way to fix this would
> be to install oracle-instantclient11.x package on the build cluster to
> be able to build tora-oracle against it. Is this possible or is this
> is out of the question ? you can see the FAQ[2] and licence[3] to be
> sure if there's any problem instaling it on the cluster from a legal
> POV. We aren't going to distribute it or anything, just use it to
> build another binary.
>
> Or could tora-oracle be moved to plf to be built there? just a
> suggestion to avoid it being dropped :(
>
> [1] http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?p=797000
> [2] http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/oci/instantclient/ic-faq.html
> [3]
>  http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/popup-license/instant_client_lic
> .html

IMHO, make it a build-time option ('rpm -ba --with oci tora.spec' or similar).

Then again, for some time I've had a perl-DBD-Oracle SRPM, and there is also a
php plugin for Oracle (php-oci8?), why do you think they are not in the distro

IMHO, Oracle isn't open-source friendly enough here, it is to their own
detriment, and there is nothing we can really do about it.

Regards,
Buchan

Re: [Cooker] tora Oracle instant client install on cluster ?

Juan Luis Baptiste
Hi Steph,

2010/4/27 Stéphane Téletchéa <[hidden email]>:
> Can you bypass the check?
> It may only require some include somewhere, and as long as the instant_client is not available on the system, this won't work, probably.

Well I'm not sure, I really haven't looked further, just at the
options cmake gives, it didn't occur to me. So you mean like find
which includes it uses and put dummy ones in it's place so it can be
compiled or something like that?

Juancho

Re: [Cooker] tora Oracle instant client install on cluster ?

Luca Berra
On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 09:08:55AM -0500, Juan Luis Baptiste wrote:

>Hi Steph,
>
>2010/4/27 Stéphane Téletchéa <[hidden email]>:
>> Can you bypass the check?
>> It may only require some include somewhere, and as long as the instant_client is not available on the system, this won't work, probably.
>>

>Well I'm not sure, I really haven't looked further, just at the
>options cmake gives, it didn't occur to me. So you mean like find
>which includes it uses and put dummy ones in it's place so it can be
>compiled or something like that?
looking on the tora site they say the windows build is linked against a
stub oci.dll

http://torasql.com/Download
Important! Because of legal reasons TOra comes with a stub oci.dll file
which makes it possible to use TOra with non Oracle databases even when
Oracle client is not installed. If you need to access Oracle - you must
install Oracle client (for example oracle instant client) and delete
stub oci.dll  from TOra installation folder.

we could check with upstream if the stub is enough to build tora
else we can add a %bcond to the srpm and people will need to rebuild it
if they want oracle support.

L.

--
Luca Berra -- [hidden email]
         Communication Media & Services S.r.l.
   X        AGAINST HTML MAIL
  / \

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Luca Berra <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 09:08:55AM -0500, Juan Luis Baptiste wrote:
> we could check with upstream if the stub is enough to build tora
> else we can add a %bcond to the srpm and people will need to rebuild it
> if they want oracle support.

Nice Luca, I'll get in touch with them.

Thanks for the tip !!

Juancho

Re: [Cooker] tora Oracle instant client install on cluster ?

Juan Luis Baptiste
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Juan Luis Baptiste
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Luca Berra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 09:08:55AM -0500, Juan Luis Baptiste wrote:
>> we could check with upstream if the stub is enough to build tora
>> else we can add a %bcond to the srpm and people will need to rebuild it
>> if they want oracle support.
>>

> Nice Luca, I'll get in touch with them.

This is the thread about this with upstream:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=y2x69fb19851004291250zb26785c8n94d91a938c5a9dba@...

In few words, it seems that the best thing for now would be to put the
tora-oracle package on tora's sf site for download and drop it from
the distro, only leaving tora with postgresql and mysql support.

If no body disagrees or think of another option then I'll ask for a
package drop request :(

Juancho

Re: [Cooker] tora Oracle instant client install on cluster ?

Juan Luis Baptiste
On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Juan Luis Baptiste
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is the thread about this with upstream:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=y2x69fb19851004291250zb26785c8n94d91a938c5a9dba@...
>
> In few words, it seems that the best thing for now would be to put the
> tora-oracle package on tora's sf site for download and drop it from
> the distro, only leaving tora with postgresql and mysql support.
>
> If no body disagrees or think of another option then I'll ask for a
> package drop request :(

ping ?

Juancho

Re: [Cooker] tora Oracle instant client install on cluster ?

Juan Luis Baptiste
On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Juan Luis Baptiste
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Juan Luis Baptiste
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This is the thread about this with upstream:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=y2x69fb19851004291250zb26785c8n94d91a938c5a9dba@...
>>
>> In few words, it seems that the best thing for now would be to put the
>> tora-oracle package on tora's sf site for download and drop it from
>> the distro, only leaving tora with postgresql and mysql support.
>>
>> If no body disagrees or think of another option then I'll ask for a
>> package drop request :(
>>

> ping ?

ping ???

I know you guys are very busy these days but a little heads up on what
to do here and I'll be on my way :)

Juancho

Re: [Cooker] tora Oracle instant client install on cluster ?

Michael Scherer-2
Le lundi 10 mai 2010 à 22:38 -0500, Juan Luis Baptiste a écrit :

> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Juan Luis Baptiste
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Juan Luis Baptiste
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> This is the thread about this with upstream:
> >>
> >> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=y2x69fb19851004291250zb26785c8n94d91a938c5a9dba@...
> >>
> >> In few words, it seems that the best thing for now would be to put the
> >> tora-oracle package on tora's sf site for download and drop it from
> >> the distro, only leaving tora with postgresql and mysql support.
> >>
> >> If no body disagrees or think of another option then I'll ask for a
> >> package drop request :(
> >>

> > ping ?
> >

> ping ???
>
> I know you guys are very busy these days but a little heads up on what
> to do here and I'll be on my way :)

Well, I think nobody disagree with you, so it should be dropped ?
--
Michael Scherer