Quantcast

gamepad-to-keyboard translation

Christopher Howard-3
I was able to get FCE Ultra installed.  I like it better than my other
NES emulators.  Thanks for the help.

However, it doesn't seem to detect my gamepad.  I know the gamepad is
fine because it works for my Sega emulator, and Mandriva can calibrate it.

Could anyone tell me the names of any popular gamepad-to-keyboard
translators for Linux?  Internet browsing is really slow on my dial-up,
and it would really help if someone could point me in the right direction.
Want to buy your Pack or Services from Mandriva?
Go to http://store.mandriva.com
Join the Club : http://www.mandrivaclub.com

choward.vcf (141 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: gamepad-to-keyboard translation

RickSisler
on Sunday May 25 2008 Christopher Howard wrote:
[...]
> Could anyone tell me the names of any popular gamepad-to-keyboard
> translators for Linux?  Internet browsing is really slow on my dial-up,
> and it would really help if someone could point me in the right
> direction.
Here are some ideas:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamepad_translator

http://rejoystick.sourceforge.net/
http://rejoystick.sourceforge.net/index.php?p=links

HTH
--
Rick                                          LC#338463 LFS#18981
2.6.24.4-laptop-3mnb AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
Want to buy your Pack or Services from Mandriva?
Go to http://store.mandriva.com
Join the Club : http://www.mandrivaclub.com

Re: gamepad-to-keyboard translation

Eric M. Bouse
that's pretty interesting..i didn't know such a program existed.

christopher,
when you mention that your gamepad works fine with a sega emulator in
mandriva, that makes me think that it should work with fceu as well. i use
a classic gravis gamepad pro with fceu and it works fine. if you're using
gfceu go to the input tab and map the buttons. if you're using fceu from
the cmdline then run fceu -inputcfg gamepad1 /dev/null. this will
accomplish the same thing.

i learned a few things looking into this. from a terminal you can run:
"cat /dev/input/js0" and then press gamepad buttons and you'll see random
characters pop up. this interaction should mean that your gamepad
theoretically works.

i'm definitely not a kernel expert. maybe someone else can chime in here.
but i believe any slightly modern (USB) gamepad should work fine in linux.
such devices should be compliant with the HID specification. i could be
way off though...

other than that i'm glad that like fceu. my other recommendations would be
zsnes for snes emulation, and gens for sega genesis.

[hidden email] wrote:

> that's pretty interesting..i didn't know such a program existed.
>
> christopher,
> when you mention that your gamepad works fine with a sega emulator in
> mandriva, that makes me think that it should work with fceu as well. i use
> a classic gravis gamepad pro with fceu and it works fine. if you're using
> gfceu go to the input tab and map the buttons. if you're using fceu from
> the cmdline then run fceu -inputcfg gamepad1 /dev/null. this will
> accomplish the same thing.
>
> i learned a few things looking into this. from a terminal you can run:
> "cat /dev/input/js0" and then press gamepad buttons and you'll see random
> characters pop up. this interaction should mean that your gamepad
> theoretically works.
>
> i'm definitely not a kernel expert. maybe someone else can chime in here.
> but i believe any slightly modern (USB) gamepad should work fine in linux.
> such devices should be compliant with the HID specification. i could be
> way off though...
>
> other than that i'm glad that like fceu. my other recommendations would be
> zsnes for snes emulation, and gens for sega genesis.
>

>> on Sunday May 25 2008 Christopher Howard wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Could anyone tell me the names of any popular gamepad-to-keyboard
>>> translators for Linux?  Internet browsing is really slow on my dial-up,
>>> and it would really help if someone could point me in the right
>>> direction.
>> Here are some ideas:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamepad_translator
>>
>> http://rejoystick.sourceforge.net/
>> http://rejoystick.sourceforge.net/index.php?p=links
>>
>> HTH
>> --
>> Rick                                          LC#338463 LFS#18981
>> 2.6.24.4-laptop-3mnb AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
>> Want to buy your Pack or Services from Mandriva?
>> Go to http://store.mandriva.com
>> Join the Club : http://www.mandrivaclub.com

> Want to buy your Pack or Services from Mandriva?
> Go to http://store.mandriva.com
> Join the Club : http://www.mandrivaclub.com
Thanks to everyone for the help with my gamepad troubles.  I was able to
get fceu to map my gamepad from the command-line, and it works great!
Punch Out is a lot more fun using a gamepad than a keyboard, let me tell
you.

My compliments to the creators of fceu, whoever they may be.